Senior Consultant - VmWare
Velocity Technology Solutions is expanding and is adding an experienced Senior Consultant - VMware to join our dynamic and highly successful team. We are currently interviewing for an experienced Senior Consultant - VMware for our global team. Velocity offers Cloud services across public, private and hybrid cloud environments and is an Advanced AWS partner.
The ideal candidate for this position will contribute to increasing Velocity’s Virtualized Infrastructure delivery agility through automation and process orchestration by:-
● Supporting continuous improvement initiatives.
● Performing routine monitoring checks to ensure that Virtualization Platforms are operational and performing adequately.
● Implementing preventative maintenance procedures and support assessment.
● Utilizing various tools to review the health of Hypervisors, their workloads, and recommend any adjustments that need to be made to improve performance, optimization, and automation of virtualization platforms.
● Capacity planning and upkeep of general Infrastructure systems like antivirus etc.
- Design, build, install, implement, configure, maintain, troubleshoot and resolve software, hardware,configuration and operational problems across the VMware products and technologies including ESXi Hosts, vCenter (Server and Appliance), vSphere Update Manager, Horizon View, vCenter Converter (for P2V and V2V), HA Clusters, DRS, Switches (Standard and Distributed) etc.
- Perform system administration and management duties for all virtual infrastructure systems and supporting physical infrastructure in all sites.
- Participate in the patch management process and deployments of security patches and bug fixes to VMware ESXi Hosts (preferred using VUM)
- Install, configure and manage IBM Flex, IBM xSeries Rack Standalone, Cisco UCS hardware including upgrading firmware and configuring all components and setting up system profiles.
- Utilize and manage ticketing system (ServiceNow).
- Develop, automate and implement operational best practices and procedures.
- Coordinate and perform P2V migrations and the decommissioning of the Hypervisor and its related servers.
- Participate in company provided training and have the ability to conduct training sessions to mentor and/or share knowledge with peers.
- Support daily monitoring and performance tuning strategies to ensure that all virtualization platforms are running at optimal capacity.
- Effectively collaborate with external and internal customers as well as management.
- Respond to compliance assessments and initiate corrective action when appropriate for audit and compliance remediation.
- Take a lead role in research, problem analysis, and resolution during major service interruptions or outages and thereafter also in post mortem / root cause of problems.
- Define and evangelize enterprise policies, standards and position statements for new and existing Virtualization and Automation related technologies.
- Escalates complex or consequential issues to management.
- Knowledge of deploying, maintaining and upgrading Microsoft Hyper-V 2012/2016 hypervisors along with an understanding of Virtual Machine Manager and be able to perform all essential functions.
- Develop, implement, and maintain automated processes using Solarwinds Virtualization Manager.
- Understanding of Cisco UCS hardware, software, Cisco Fiber Interconnects and UCS Server Profiles.
- Moderate to strong knowledge of VMware PowerCLI, Microsoft PowerShell and/or Puppet to optimize, automate and troubleshoot a VMware and Hyper-V environments respectively.
Troubleshooting knowledge, utilizing packet sniffers, Fiddler, log parsers, and other utilities relative to problem diagnosis and remediation.
- The Senior Consultant – Global Virtualization must have a Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field. An exhaustive equivalent field experience may be accepted in lieu of educational requirements.
- A candidate with a minimum of 8+ years of overall experience in information technology along with 5+ years of managing a major large enterprise scale (1000+ Servers) implementations of VMWare (and Hyper-V is a huge plus) virtualization technologies is preferred.
- Must have recent, hands-on experience implementing and configuring VMware ESXi 5.x/6.x virtualization technologies (vCenter, vSphere, ESXi, DRS, vMotion, HA, FT, DRS, SRM, NSX) and VDI technologies (VMware Horizon View), Update Manager, LogInsight, and/or other tools to manage a large scale VMware environment
- Uses a broad and deep understanding of technical concepts in multiple specialized fields to develop solutions to problems and critical design issues
- Work on IT projects and be able to see a project from planning stages to completion along with working with new hardware and software technologies and be able to understand and learn said technologies to become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) as needed or delegated by manager.
- Effectively communicates (oral and written) current status of all projects, problems, and issues to the department management and non-technical audiences.
- Must be motivated and dedicated individual who is eager to learn, grow and question the status quo along with capacity to work with a high degree of professionalism with high attention to detail, be well organized, be a self-starter and resolves most conflicts between timeline and scope independently but intuitively and also
- must be able to work with limited to moderate direct supervision.
- The candidate must be willing to accommodate weekend, shift or on-call schedules as defined, and participate in an on-call rotation to provide after-hours support.
- Knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies and ability to apply this to day-to-day work activities
- Knowledge of enterprise platforms and operating systems as well as knowledge of key business functions and processes.
- Basic understanding of Load balancers (such as F5 and NetScaler) and Databases (Microsoft SQL Server). This can be only basic understanding /knowledge and not experience
- Experience with Storage Area Networks including boot from SAN Technologies, multipathing, Fibre Channel zoning, and iSCSI implementation. -This can be only basic understanding /knowledge and not experience
- Understanding of RAID, SANs, NFS, iSCSI, FC,NAS- ➢ VMware Certification (VCP, VCAP, VCDX)
➢ ITIL Foundations v3 Certification
➢ Experienced working with multiple business units and diverse employee population.
➢ Experience implementing/monitoring Solarwind Virtualization Manager for capacity planning. This can be only basic understanding /knowledge and not experience
➢ Experience with Cloud-based virtualization (AWS/Azure) and automating VMware tasks using PowerCLI (Huge Preference).-This can be only basic understanding /knowledge and not experience
➢ Cisco UCS administration skills, including experience with installing/provisioning all UCS domain components, including fabric interconnects, chassis, blades, service profiles, pools, policies, templates, and firmware. This can be only basic understanding /knowledge and not experience
- Candidate must ensure that compliance with data protection legislation under the DPA, EU GDPR, any other applicable data protection legislation
- Ability to think strategically and perform a risk analysis to find problems and come up with creative solutions while reacting positively and professionally even in stressful situations.
- Ability to quickly respond to service impacts and possess a strong troubleshooting acumen.
- Willingness to become a 'subject matter expert' in multiple support areas.
- Organized and detail oriented with excellent time management skills to manage workloads efficiently
- Ability to execute assignments within established timeframes and quality standards, while responding to immediate needs
- Ability to multitask with a propensity to handle urgent interruptions with poise and professionalism